Monday, July 22, 2013

Building Team Una Vez Mas!

During the third week of our time here in Guatemala we had the opportunity to build houses for families in need.  I had the privilege to change the lives of a family of a single mother with six children in a part of Guatemala called Santa Ana.  This aspect of our time building just might have been my favorite part of the trip.   




On the first day we mixed cement and created a foundation with bricks.  On the second day we secured the frame of the pressed cement walls and hammered and sawed until we thought we couldn't.  This is all easier said than done.  Let's just say our team name was Una Vez Mas, and we did just that until we were finished. All the while the children were more than eager to help.  The spirit and energy in these kids was something I can't describe.


On the third day we had a blast painting our soon to be smurf blue house. It turned out that the kids also loved to paint. :)


In a matter of days these people who not only don't speak the same language as us but were also strangers, became people that I could respect and connect with.  From this experience I  learned just how important and rewarding it is to help people living in need.  In those three days I not only learned how to build a house, but also learned a great deal about the people of Guatemala and how grateful I am that I had the opportunity to give this amazing family a house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment