Saturday, July 6, 2013

Casa Jackson


Exhaustion. The weekend couldn't come soon enough and my bed could not have been more comfy. I got the wonderful honor to volunteer in Casa Jackson this past week which is a clinic for malnourished children just outside of Antigua. There are about 18 babies in the clinic all suffering from various levels of malnourishment. In the morning when we arrive we start with the chores that need to be done. My chores though out the week have consisted if folding mounds of clothes, disinfecting cribs, and scrubbing the roof terrace with bleach. Though the chores are not so fun, afterwards we just get to feed and play with kiddos which makes you forget the labor of the morning. To my shock and awe most of the kids are about 2 years old and look as though they are just turning one. It is so sad.

Personally in reflection of working there you can't help yourself from just thinking how many more kids need help an how many struggle daily with getting enough food. I feel like my efforts are not enough, when in reality helping every child I can is what will make the difference. Good lessons being learned about the power of helping one at a time and what those small acts of service can produce. Here are some pictures of some of the kids, smiling and fighting for their lives.

Mucho gusto! Faith






1 comment: