Saturday, July 20, 2013

Conversation Partners

For the last three weeks we have been taking Spanish classes along with meeting with a Guatemalan conversation partner who is trying to learn English.  Having taken absolutely no Spanish classes before I arrived in Guatemala, I didn't know what I was getting myself into.  Similar to anything in life, starting from scratch is difficult to do!  Fortunately, Sarah and I were assigned to a very patient conversation partner named Alma.

Sarah and I had so many questions about Antigua and Guatemala in general, especially the first week here.  Alma was so willing to answer questions and show us around to places we would have never seen without her.  Though Spanish class was very beneficial, talking with Alma allowed me to learn applicable words used in casual conversation.  Sarah and I were also very impressed by how much English Alma knew.  She told us she had taken English for three years now.  She became bashful when we told her she was a great speaker but Sarah and I agree that she would certainly find her way around in an English speaking country with her skill level!

As our time in Guatemala is coming to an end, Friday was our last day meeting with Alma.  We thanked her with ice cream and hugs and wish her the best!


 A beautiful fountain Alma led us to


Maximo Nivel- our Spanish/English school


Tanque de la Union- a historic public laundry washbasin Alma showed us

No comments:

Post a Comment